Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fun at the Local Gym

Ok, I gotta tell ya this. I work out at the local YMCA and have been a member forever. I saw this guy working out today in the "weight" room. He was about 50 or so. I was busy working on my 'ceps (biceps for you work-out challenged) trying to firm up my flappers and lose these baby-inspired last 15 pounds. He wanted to work out on the machine next to me - it's one of those long, upside down "U" type machines with pulleys on both ends that you can attach various apparatus to. You can do biceps, triceps, back, etc. The top middle is a bar that you can do pull-ups on - you know what I'm talking about? Anyway, he comes sauntering over with these boot-thingys on and a bicep curl bar and proceeds to (get this) hook his feet to the pull-up bar. Upside down. On PURPOSE. Of course, now that he's upside down, he can't reach to bicep curl bar that he put on the ground in order to hang himself (ha ha) from the pull-up bar. You got the visual? Luckily, a lady happened to be in front of him (probably the reason he decided to perform this maneuver as she was about 6 feet tall, blonde with a killer body) and she handed this bar to him. So, here he is, hanging upside down by his booty-feet, doing (snicker) UPSIDE DOWN BICEP CURLS. I sat there, blinking in confusion, jamming to an old Oingo Boingo tune, wondering the same thing you are - What was the point? Am I missing some new-fangled, ultra-hip, super-effective bicep workout? Where do you learn these things? Does he sit home with his new boots and wonder what is the best way to get a "killer" workout with them? What's next, hang by one boot and do karate kicks to impress the ladies?????? This is almost as good as the middle-aged guy farting next to me while doing sit ups! The only difference is that I didnt' have to immediately vacate the area.

It's really too bad I couldn't snap a pic of him with my uber-cool Iphone. I was too brain-dead from lack of breakfast to think about it at the time. Oh well, worth a chuckle or two.

No comments: